Spaghetti is one of my weaknesses and when served with homemade meatballs is the best dinner I can ever imagine. So I thought of sharing with you the recipe of Spaghetti with Meatballs in Marinara sauce.
40 to 50 minutes
- For Marinara Sauce
¼ cup Olive oil (60 ml)
2 large Onions, chopped
6 to 8 cloves Garlic, minced
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
½ tsp Chilli flakes
200 gm Tomato paste
500 gm crushed Tomato
1 tsp dried Basil
1 tsp dried Parsley
1 to 2 Bay leaves
- For Meatballs
400 gm minced boneless Chicken
2 to 3 tbsp Caramelised Onion-Garlic mixture
1 cup (50 gm) Bread crumbs
¼ cup (25gm) Ricotta cheese
2 tsp fresh Parsley, chopped (optional)
1 Egg, beaten
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
¼ cup Milk (60 ml)
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
Olive oil, for frying
- For Spaghetti
500 gms Spaghetti
Salt, as required
Parmesan cheese, for garnish
Fresh Parsley, chopped, for garnish
- First we need to prepare the Marinara sauce: Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium flames. Add onion and garlic. Cook until translucent.
- Add salt and pepper and cook until onion and garlic are caramelized.
- Set aside 1/3 portion of the caramelised onion and garlic for the meatballs and let it cool.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, bay leaves, dried basil and dried parsley. Stir together and bring to boil.
- Add chilli flakes and tomato paste. Reduce the heat and let it simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Obtain the desired consistency and the sauce is ready.
- Now we prepare the Meatballs: Take minced chicken, reserved caramelised onion-garlic mixture, bread crumbs, ricotta cheese, egg, parmesan cheese, milk, salt, pepper and parsley in a large mixing bowl. Mix all the ingredients until well combined.
- Divide into small proportion and make small round balls of equal sizes and fry it in olive oil until golden brown from outside.
- Add the fried meatballs in the simmering marinara sauce and cover it. Let it simmer in low flames for 10 minutes and the sauce is absorbed by the meatballs.
- Now we cook the Spaghetti: Fill a large pot with water. Add generous quantity of salt and bring them to boil. Add the pasta (spaghetti) and cook it for 5 to 7 minutes, until Al dente (cooked until firm to bite). Stir occasionally to prevent the pasta from sticking together.
- Now save some pasta water in case you need to loosen the sauce and drain the remaining water.
- Add the pasta directly to the simmering sauce. Stir the pasta gently into the sauce until it gets fully coated with the sauce.
- Place the cooked pasta to serving bowls, top with the meatballs, and garnish with grated Parmesan and fresh parsley.
- Instead of frying you can also bake the meatballs: Place the meat balls on a wire rack and bake them in an oven for approximately 20 minutes at 150˚F (or until brown from outside yet the centres remains tender and juicy).
- For cooking of pasta you can also have a glance at the cooking instructions given on the outer cover, as the time for cooking pasta may vary with brand. If you are a beginner you can also do a little taste checking whether the pasta is cooked or not. (Just bite a tiny portion before draining the pasta)
- While mixing the pasta with the sauce please be gentle so that the meatballs do not break. You can also take out the meatballs from the sauce before adding the pasta and place it on the top while serving.
- In case you are out of tomato paste you may use tomato ketchup instead.
Enjoy the dish and do update me with your experiences.